New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Spring At Last

Spring arrived this morning at exactly 38 seconds after 7:33 a.m. It's rather chilly (6 C) in New York City, with light rain. It is also Palm Sunday.

Jenn and I got our acts together and made it out of the house before noon. We took the subway to Barnes & Noble at Union Square so she could buy a book about how to write a book proposal. Then we walked to David's Bagels and got two onion bagels and a container of egg salad. We went home and had a bagel feast. Now we're both blogging.

It has been a nice weekend. I haven't written since Friday, so here's a brief update on my life in New York City since then. Friday night Jenn and I chilled at home, as planned. On Saturday I ran some errands during the day (bank, etc.) and went to kumite class at 4:00 p.m. Kumite was especially good, and our instructor was trying to instill in us higher-level fighting techniques and trying to break us of the habit of brawling and not keeping a good defense. It was a great class.

Shortly after I got home Justin buzzed the buzzer. It was his last night in New York before flying back to Vancouver at an ungodly hour. The three of us (Justin, Jenn, and I) hung out a bit, and then Jenn had to split to go to her friend's birthday party in the city. Justin and I left shortly after to meet his friends Will and Ali at a Japanese restaurant called Haru at 48th and Park. (Haru means Spring in Japanese, which is appropriate for the day.)

We had a very good sushi dinner (I insisted we order some white tuna sashimi, of course) and paired it with some of the best sake I have ever tasted outside of Japan. The sake container and sake cups were made of bamboo and looked really cool. We also had a nice conversation. I was the only guy at the table not in the music industry.

After dinner, Justin and I went back to Brooklyn and went to one of my favorite bars, Spuyten Duyvil. We had some cask-drawn Scotch ales and a plate of cheese and charcuterie and a bowl of olives.

It was about 1:00 a.m. when we got home. Poor Justin had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to get to JFK airport for his flight back to Vancouver. I had the best intentions of waking up and walking him out to his gypsy cab, but it didn't work out. I think he made his flight, because I probably would have heard from him by now if he didn't. It was nice to see Justin. He misses living in New York and is thinking about ways to get back here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

At least it isn't snowing today (as the forecast predicted). And it's 4:30 and we still have an hour and a half of light left.
Happy Haru.

4:39 PM  
Blogger x said...

Thanks again for putting my itinerant ass up in your abode - it was great to see you again. For the record, white-tuna sashimi is now officially on my shortlist for the title of Best. Food. Ever.

Much love from the Great White North,

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home