New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

It's 5:45 p.m. on Thursday, Saint Patrick's Day, and the streets of New York City are already filling up with green-clad revelers. Saint Patrick's Day is a celebration of much more than alcohol, but that's one of its more visible elements here in the five boroughs. I'm one of very few people in my office who thought to wear green today. I'm wearing a green shirt with vertical stripes. And no, I'm not Irish, I'm American with Latvian heritage, but I could pass for Irish to anyone but an Irish person (so I've been told). Perhaps tonight I can put it to the test.

The beers are flowing at work right now, and I have a non-Irish Dos Equis beer with me at my desk. We're not officially celebrating Saint Patrick's Day here at the office, it's a going-away party for one of our art directors, who is off to ESPN the Magazine. I reminded him that he's entering Mauschwitz, as Disney is sometimes referred to.

I was going to go to karate tonight, but with this beer, I have just decided to skip it. My old friend Justin is in town from Vancouver (recently of Paris, France, recently of Park Slope, Brooklyn). We'll get together and bend a few elbows, but tonight won't be a late one, as we both have to work in the morning.

Of course, those are famous last words on Saint Patrick's Day. Happy Day, all, especially to my friends in Ireland. Jenn and I might visit Ireland this summer. We've never been, but she has an Irish grandfather, so it would be nice to see the old country. As for me, I just like seeing new places, and I've always wanted to visit the Emerald Isle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Slainte! Look forward to visiting the Emerald Isle before St Patricks Day 2006.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home