New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Great Run

It's 3:44 p.m. on Sunday afternoon and I've just gotten back from an invigorating run through Williamsburg. I left the house at about 2:45 p.m. and ran pretty steadily until I came back home about five minutes ago. I feel good.

I put on my sneakers and took a right out of our front door and ran north on Leonard Street under the BQE overpass to Bayard Street. I took a left on Bayard and went west one block to McCarren Park.

Normally when I go running (which isn't very often) I run on the oval track at McCarren Park, but the city is currently replacing and improving the track and the soccer pitch in the middle. The track was pretty good to begin with. It was made of a special spongey material that gave your feet and joints extra cushion. But the soccer pitch was pretty well beaten up. Anyway since the track was off limits I just ran on the walkways along the eastern perimeter of the park and then headed south along Wythe Avenue.

I was keeping a pretty good pace, slow but steady. The temperature was about seven degrees Celcius. I ran to Grand Ferry Park, where I took a break. I walked to the edge of the water, next to the mostly-abandoned Domino sugar plant, with its big rusty cranes leaning out over the east river, waiting for a sugar boat that will never come. The view to my right looked like this.

The best view is looking south, to the left (second picture down). The picture doesn't do it justice because you can actually see all three bridges, the Williamsburg, the Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge, and if you look to your right you can see two more. It's a good place to watch the sun set. Or to catch your breath from a run.

I relaxed and cooled off for a few minutes, but it was windy, and I didn't want to get too cold, so I started off running again. I ran along Grand Street most of the way back. Good run. Hooah!

I wanted to run because I couldn't get to the dojo today (although I did make it to kumite yesterday). Jenn and I met our friends Stacie and Mike for brunch at Hill Diner on Court Street in Brooklyn. I had challah bread French toast and it was good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

That's an impressive run. Meanwhile, your wife sat at home on her butt, eating apple cake and emailing and blogging. But I'll hit the gym tomorrow.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home