New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Free Booze

After work last night Jenn and I walked over to the Asprey store on Fifth Avenue and 56th Street (in Trump Tower, next to Tiffany & Co.).

We were there for an event commemorating the launch of an 18-year-old blended Scotch whiskey from Chivas. We arrived at a few minutes after 7:00 p.m. and were soon sipping Scotch with a splash of water. The Scotch was delicious, smooth like velvet, with notes of almond, chocolate, and caramel. It warmed us after our cold walk.

One of the first people I recognized there was Esquire drinks writer Dave Wondrich. Jenn and I chatted with Dave and his fellow drinks writer friends for a while, and then we all moved upstairs because there was a draft by the door that even the Scotch couldn't counteract, and the real party was happening on the second and third floors.

Upstairs, I introduced myself to food and wine connoisseur and Esquire contributing editor Ted Allen. I had never formally met him but since we are technically coworkers I wanted to say hi and to tell him that we enjoy his show.

Ted was very nice, and we all talked for a while and browsed through Asprey's rare book room on the third floor. I introduced Ted to Dave. There was a photographer taking pictures, and he shot Ted, Jenn and me and asked us to speak our names into his camera. I guess there was a recording device to help him write photo captions. Maybe we're in the tabloids today. I ought to check.

The Asprey and Chivas executives and master distiller said a few words and led us in a toast to inaugurate the new Scotch and we all raised our glasses, but I had led our little group in a toast earlier in the evening. I wasn't surprised that nobody mentioned it in the formal remarks, but Chivas was the favorite drink of one recently deceased writer. We made a very sincere and private toast to Hunter S. Thompson.

At about 9:00 p.m. Jenn and I got our coats and gift bags (very nice stuff) and walked to the subway. It took us about half an hour to get home. Jenn did some homework for a financial seminar she's doing, and I took a shower and watched the Daily Show. We went to bed at about 11:30 p.m.

I woke up this morning feeling fine, and now I'm at work. I'd better get going, but that was our New York evening. It was a fancy and fun event that we didn't have to take too seriously. And there was free booze. Good stuff, too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But how was the scotch?
-Märt Päntan.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Victor Ozols said...

Good point. It was divine. Please see updated posting.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vic, enjoying your blog! Wish I could be in NYC to see The Gates. Wish I could be in NYC to join yr whitewater rafting excursion. Wish I was in NYC period - not really enjoying Madrid. I shd be more positive (that stuff about the cow and the snake drinking the same water). Hey - and big news about WebsterMan and MaryAlice! Paul X

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home