New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Erhu Music

Jenn and I left work at the same time last night. It was snowing, windy, and bitterly cold. We took the subway home to Brooklyn together.

I've written plenty about Shakerleg, the drummer I like who sometimes plays on the L-train platform at Union Square. Last night there was another musician I like. He was a (presumably) Chinese man playing an erhu, which is a two-stringed instrument which creates, to my mind, very haunting music, evocative of Chinese parlors and back alleys.

He was a darn good erhu player, and he gave me a smile and nodded his head after I tossed a buck in his case. I wasn't sure how to dance to that kind of music, so my moves were reminiscent of Heathcliff Huxtable. While I was dancing, a young Asian girl tossed him a handful of change and he gave her a big smile too.

We stopped by Family Garden on the way home and bought a quart of chicken noodle soup. Our evening was spent relaxing, watching Crocodile Dundee and the Daily Show.

Tonight, instead of karate, I'm going with Jenn to a Chivas tasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home