New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Cabin Fever

Everything seems possible in the morning, with a caveat. I need my coffee, then everything seems possible. I look out the window at the blue sky and realize the world is still there and feel like there's still plenty of time to do the things I want to do. A world of possibility waits under the rising sun.

It's another beautiful day in New York City (freezing temperatures notwithstanding) and I'm sipping my coffee at my desk at home. I'll give myself just a few minutes to tap something out and then I've got to get going.

I'm quite sure I'm not the only person in New York to be chafing from the dreaded cabin fever, even though I live in a rear house in Brooklyn, not a cabin. (I imagine Mongolians get yurt fever sometimes.) I think the Winter is okay, but it's amazing what some decent weather can do for your spirits.

Today is March 16, and, I'll remind you again, the first day of Spring is four days away. No, the weather won't suddenly become tropical, but it's a hopeful sign that warmer days are just ahead, and some outdoor adventures too, I hope.

Last night, on a whim, I picked up Bill Bryson's In A Sunburned Country from the shelf. I had never read any Bill Bryson, so I read the first few pages and was reminded right away of how great it is to travel and see new things, and to be in motion in general. It's not so much about Australia (which seems pretty great) but just getting out under the big sky at all is quite soothing to my winter-constricted brain.

It got me thinking about what a sweet gig travel writing is, and thinking about my favorite travel writing books. On The Road is a classic, but perhaps it's not travel writing per se. Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon was excellent, as was Blue Latitudes by Tony Horwitz. (Yes, I like blue books.) I'd like my own title in that group some day.

I can't wait to start doing outdoorsy stuff and taking trips this year. Next up (I hope) is whitewater rafting in the Hudson River Gorge. In my more immediate future, however, is a shower and a short walk, and then a fun trip on the New York City subway to 57th and Seventh. Sorry, gotta split. More soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous seth said...

Kudos on your new Esquire assignment sir!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read Blue Highways, but Blue Latitudes was truly fantastic: impressive, educational, and very enjoyable.

As for Bill Bryson, don't waste your time with In A Sunburned Country. Bryson's best book by far is A Walk In The Woods. I recommend it very highly. In A Sunburned Country felt like he was just going through the motions to fulfill a contractual obligation with his publisher.

Märt Päntan

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home