New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Monday, March 14, 2005

Art Rock

After ruminating a bit yesterday afternoon, Jenn and I decided to head up to Rockefeller Center to see an indoor/outdoor art exhibit called Art Rock. It was pretty weird, in a G-rated way. The weather was nice and we breezed through the exhibits, which included a dumpster folded into the shape of a paper airplane, an abominable snowman in an urban environment, several neon lightboxes, some paper dioramas, and a mirrored house.

I took a bunch of pictures with the digital camera and then we moved on, taking the F-train downtown to West Fourth Street. There we went to the Porto Rico on Bleecker and bought coffee beans. One more jaunt on the subway put us back on 14th Street, where we did some food shopping at Western Beef. Western Beef is a great grocery store, and yes, they do sell much more than just beef, but the meat is one of the big draws. Instead of having refrigerated coolers, they have an entire refrigerated room where you can just grab packaged meats off racks. We got some skinless chicken breasts on the bone for $1.99 a pound and also picked up some other stuff to cook for dinner like broccoli, Italian bread, and olive oil.

Then we took the subway home to Brooklyn, stopping by a couple of shops on Graham Avenue for some final touches. First thing I did when we got home was upload all my photos onto the computer, so Jenn and I could enjoy a slide show of our fun afternoon. Most of the pictures turned out well, and the abominable snowman has an otherwordly quality.

I cooked the dinner and it was darn good. First I cut the onions into thick slices and seasoned them and put them in a lasagna pan to pre-cook them before adding the chicken. Once that was going I kind of made up a recipe for bruschetta, Victor-style. (I diced an onion and three plum tomatoes and sauteed them in a pan with olive oil and Italian herbs for seven minutes, then spooned it over pieces of bread and put it in the oven for a few minutes.) I served that to Jenn as an appetizer with some simple red table wine.

I put the chicken breasts over the onions in the pan, and then put plum tomato slices over the chicken breasts and seasoned them. I baked the whole thing for about 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and then we feasted. It was great, and we have leftovers for dinner tonight.

That was pretty much the extent of our evening. We both tidied the house and took care of a few little things for the upcoming week, and here we are on Monday morning. I feel pretty good today, and I'm very happy that Spring begins in less than a week.

2 Comments:

Blogger x said...

V,

Sounds like a mouth-watering repast. I love Western Beef - and the fact that it remains in that otherwise more-gentrified-than-gentrified 'hood. I'm in New Orleans right now, and I enjoyed a po' boy, some jambalaya and a tall glass of cold beer on Bourbon St. last night. Life is good.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

My mouth is even watering at the thought of eating leftovers tonight from Sunday's repast (and maybe washing it down with a tall glass of cold beer).

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home