New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Walk

I was held at work just late enough that I couldn't make it to karate on time or within a respectable period of lateness (like fifteen minutes) so I ditched black belt class and came home.

On the way home these three women, I think Persion (Iranian?) wearing blue robes and headscarves but with faces uncovered, asked me if this train went to Queens. They didn't speak English well at all, the youngest one knew a few words.

Since we were on the L platform I said no, this train doesn't go to Queens, just Brooklyn, and I pointed them to the N/R/Q/W platform. But they seemed reluctant to go, like they were sure the L went to Queens (it really doesn't) and one of them showed me an address written on a piece of paper, and it said Glendale, Queens, and then I figured it out.

Glendale, Queens is close to the Brooklyn Border, and a good way to get there, say if you wanted to go to the excellent, historic, and authentic German restaurant Zum Stammtisch, would be to take the L train to the Myrtle-Wyckoff stop, and then transfer to a bus north on Myrtle Avenue to Queens.

I figured that's what they were doing (taking the bus up Myrtle Avenue to Glendale, not going to Zum Stammtisch) and I was right. I directed them to the right station and subway surfed home to Brooklyn.

I was antsy and the weather was still mild, so I decided to go for a run, although it actually ended up being a walk. I just wanted to get outside and breathe because I had been cooped up all day.

It felt great to get out. I left the apartment at about 8:15 p.m. and walked a very similar route to the one Jenn and I took on our megatransect last Sunday. A very light rain was beginning to fall but it wasn't very cold. From McCarren Park I could see the taller buildings of the Manhattan skyline like the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building, silver lights glimmering in the sky.

I figured I'd pick up some food on Bedford Avenue and I actually walked in to a gyro place but the guy looked overwhelmed and I didn't feel like waiting, so I walked on. I walked into the hipster shopping mall the Girdle Factory just to warm up and walked right out. I ended up at Yola's, a brand new, hole-in-the-wall Mexican takeout place on Metropolitan Avenue close to where we live. It was my first time there and I must say I like Yola's because it is one of the cleanest restaurants I've ever seen. Everything is white and it is sparkling. Of course the place is still new but they definitely keep it clean.

I ordered a beef burrito and paid and tipped a buck and sat on a stool to wait for my order. There was a small TV in the corner tuned to a hilarious-looking Spanish-language comedy variety show. It was something about men and women being separated into teams and competing with one another, but there was this nutty grandma character on the women's team that kept pulling crazy stunts, and then they all got wrapped up in white ribbon, and some confetti was dropped on them and they started falling down. Then my burrito was ready and I went to Hana Foods next door and bought a Tecate Mexican beer to drink with my burrito. It seemed fitting. Both were excellent.

Now I'm back at home and full. Jenn's on her way back from a Project Runway TV party.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Sounds like a perfect evening promenade--and a little more exciting than my 11-block walk between subway stations and Joy's apartment and ours.
Happy to join you on your next Megatransect march.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home