New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Risky Business

I work on the 13th floor of a 20-storey building located on Broadway between 57th and 58th streets. The building is undergoing renovation, and a construction crew is currently building a huge system of scaffolding on the Broadway side. They must be cleaning or refacing the building surface.

Today the scaffold builders have reached the 13th floor. I can see them right outside the windows, carrying up boards and bars and tightening bolts, and I have to say, these guys are fearless. It's unbelievable. None of them is wearing any kind of safety harness, and they're dancing all over the place, leaning precariously over the edge above the street to reach a bucket attached to a pulley that brings up supplies and climbing up on bars to tighten bolts and drill holes in the building to secure the scaffold. Watch out, guys, it's a long way down!

I'm nervous just watching them, but they don't seem to be nervous at all. Maybe they get a thrill from the risk. I hope these guys are make good money because it's not a job I would volunteer for. Perhaps they are Iroquois.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home