New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Rainy Gates

The rain started in the afternoon and I figured I'd go for another walk through Central Park before I bought a sandwich. I wanted to see The Gates in rainy weather, to see if it's any different.

Conclusion: it's the same, except wetter.

But it's also something that you have to experience to understand.

This time I took a walk on my own, with only my umbrella and wistful feelings as companions.

During the moments I was actually passing under The Gates I certainly felt immersed in it. It really is an all-encompassing experience. For me to write about what it's really like I'd have to write from the park itself.

Anyway, I enjoyed my rainy Gate-walk, and I wasn't thinking about the artists or the controversy, just the work itself, and the work is splendid.

I did think for a moment about how Christo and Jeanne-Claude originally wanted 15,000 gates instead of the 7,500 they have now. That would have been too many. That information is from an excellent article by former NYC Parks Commissioner Henry Stern that my wife pointed out to me. That article can be found here. I also highly recommend you check out this slide show from Slate.

I walked around the southwest corner of the mostly-empty park for about 15 minutes, and then walked to the JY Deli to buy a chicken sandwich. And it was delicious, although I couldn't help but wonder about the true motivation of the sandwich-maker, and the impact her choices have on the sandwich, the city, and society in general.

Conclusion: it's all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home