New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Plan Eat

I pulled myself together yesterday and made it to kumite at 4:00 p.m. Kumite was particularly fun because at the end we did some drills where two people attack one. It's pretty exciting.

I got home feeling pretty woozy and fevered, like I knocked myself out during kumite. (Actually I got kicked in the head.) I took a nap and woke up when Jenn arrived home with Mayumi and Kevin. They had been out walking in the Village.

We all hung out for a few minutes, and then bundled up and walked in the cold to Plan Eat Thailand (scroll down). Plan Eat has always been a dependable restaurant. Good food, cheap prices, funky atmosphere. Very Williamsburg.

We ordered a whole bunch of food. I recall shrimp gyoza, vegetable and shrimp tempura, miso soup, oysters, chicken and steak teriyaki, pad thai, a rainbow roll, with sake and beer. It was all good. We left the restaurant at around midnight and walked home in the cold.

Today, after sleeping in, Jenn and I showered and dressed and I went out to buy the paper. I read pretty much the whole Sunday Times in the time Mayumi and Kevin were getting ready to go out. Then we all went into Manhattan together and walked briefly through SoHo. The real purpose of our trip was to go to Yonah Schimmel's.

We all got knishes and enjoyed them very much. Kevin and I got spinach potato knishes. Jenn got a sweet potato knish. Mayumi ordered cherry cheese knish. Then we walked to Katz's Delicatessen for frankfurters with sauerkraut and mustard. They were absolutely delicious.

We were pressed for time, because Mayumi and Kevin had a flight to catch out of JFK, so we headed home, called them a car, said our goodbyes, and saw them off in a black Towncar.

Now we are hanging out and getting ready to go to Elaine's Oscar party tonight. We are addicted to this video and this story behind it. The kid is a hero.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Plan Eat Thailand and Yonah Schimmel's are two of the best things about NYC (and the best bargains). I can't vouch personally for Katz's b/c I don't eat beef dogs but suffice it to say: Mayumi and Kevin finished their hot dog before we even got from the counter to the cash register to pay for it.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

The food sounds so great! I cant' get good ethnic food like that here in east tn. My sis lives in manhattan, she always brags about the food.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home