New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Shakerleg!

I took the subway home from work at around 6:40 p.m. and as I transferred to the L train to Brooklyn at Union Square I was very pleased to see and hear Shakerleg performing on the platform. Most subway musicians annoy me but I do give money to those I consider particularly talented, whose music/art/whatnot actually entertains me and gives me a lift. Shakerleg is an outstanding drummer. He makes the other subway drummers (and New York is lousy with subway drummers) really suffer by comparison. I've also purchased his CD and he told me it was recorded right there on the L-train platform. You can even hear the train pulling into the station in one song.

The other subway performer to whom I've given money is a Spanish-singing guitarist who does a haunting rendition of Besame Mucho. I thought of him on Sunday when I read the Times obituary of Consuelo Velazquez. I don't even know his name but that subway guitarist is a real troubador. Besame Mucho is clearly his Tiny Bubbles but it's got staying power for a reason. Yes, I did just figure out the shortcut for adding links.

I've come straight home from work today. No karate stories. I've waxed sufficiently philosophical on the subject for now. Jenn's out with some of her friends having dinner at Five Front, a restaurant in Brooklyn Heights. Now I might grab some food. I think I will get beef with mixed Chinese vegetables, just steamed, no sauce. It comes with rice.

Update: The beef and vegetable dish was excellent, but I couldn't find anything satisfying to watch on TV while I was eating it. My fortune cookie told me that many a false step is made by standing still.

Another update relates to the sad story of the actress who got murdered on the Lower East Side last Wednesday night in a robbery. The cops got the guys who did it, at least it looks that way. So that's good, but not much consolation to the victim's family.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Shakerleg also likes to forego drum sticks and play with his fingers, which definitely ups the `whatnot' entertainment quotient--not to mention, the money he spends on Band-Aids.

12:08 PM  
Blogger x said...

Way to figure out the "links" function. Next stop - photoblogging! (www.hello.com)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Cz said...

Hey, do you, per chance, know the name of the guy (his last name may be hero) who performs at the Bedford Ave stop... every time I've seen him he's been doing Beatles songs...

I really like him.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home