New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, January 09, 2005

New Babies and Karate Fights

Last night Jenn's sister had a baby. Proud parents Stephanie and Eric welcome Evelyn Charlotte to the world. They're in Chicago, so we toasted from New York with cabernet sauvignon.

It's 10:25 p.m. and Jenn is out for one of her friends' birthday dinners. I'm home staying mellow because I've got to wake up early tomorrow (Sunday) morning for Kagami Biraki, New Year's karate training.

Today I took a kumite class. Kumite is the word for free fighting. What we do is like kickboxing, more or less. We don't try to take eachother's heads off, we exchange techniques and try to get better, find out what works and what doesn't work.

I'm a decent fighter for the most part, but there are lots of black belts who are senior to me who can really take me out. It's exciting to fight someone with superior skills because you are fighting to win, but of course everybody has a plan until they get hit. Today I had about a dozen good fights with both black belts and colored belts, but I also got tenderized in one fight with a fellow first degree black belt (shodan). I got knocked down too, which doesn't happen too often. It was exciting but humbling and a little frustrating.

I am still coming back from a karate injury last year, so I'm a bit out of practice. Still, when I walked out of that place I felt like nothing could hurt me. Now I feel a bit sore.

It's 10:36 p.m. and I'm going to bed soon so I can get to the dojo at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home