New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Saturday, January 29, 2005

I'm Number One on Google

I don't know how it works, but as of today, Saturday, January 29, 2005, I have been added to the Google directory, and I am the number one result when you search my name, Victor Ozols. It's the same for Yahoo! and Lycos as well. It's very cool and a little scary.

First of all, it looks like I have won the race to be the number one Victor Ozols on the internet. There's a Victor Ozols who's a doctor involved with the Mayo Clinic who has a few mentions online. He seems like a good guy. I'm okay with having him as my doppelganger. I emailed him once to say that we have the same name but he never emailed me back. He probably thought I was a freak or a spammer.

There's also a Victor Ozols in England. I'll let his story speak for itself:

"A heroin addict who stole to feed a pounds 200-a-day habit took his nine-year-old daughter shoplifting with him, a court heard. Victor Ozols, 32, admitted six offences of theft and a public order offence when he went before Recorder Nicholas Paines at Coventry Crown Court on Friday." (From the Evening Telegraph, December 2, 2003)

I want to make this clear. It's true that Victor Ozols is an uncommon name, but there are more than one of us on this planet. I'm not this guy from England. I'm not perfect, but I have never taken a nine-year-old daughter on shoplifting excursions to feed a drug habit. Not me. I'm not from England. I don't have a daughter. I'm a different guy, although I hope this guy can find a more positive path in this world.

Ozols is a very common surname in Latvia. It means oak tree. That's me, Victor Oak Tree. There's even a rapper in Latvia named Ozols, and that's his stage name, he named himself Ozols because it was a cool rap name. In Latvia.

Being number one on Google also means that anyone who knows me or used to know me can type my name in and get my blog as the number one result, and I would say it's a good bet they'll click on it and read some of it. And everybody googles people's names sometimes.

This means I'm really "live" now. Hi everybody! Hi family! Hi friends! Hi coworkers at Esquire! Esquire in the hizzee! I would really appreciate it if people would add comments to this blog to let me know they were here, or just let me know you saw the blog. I can't help but be curious about who winds up here (although my statcounter gives me a general idea).

Part of the reason I started this blog on January 1 was to get out there without concern for criticism. I don't feel it a lot, but I'm as self conscious as anybody else when it comes to writing. I just wanted to go on the record to say this is who I am, and this is what's going on in my life. Most people have been supportive so far.

It's fitting that I became the number one Victor Ozols on Google today (and I know it was today because I tried to Google my blog yesterday and it didn't work). I've had this blog for just about one month now, and it has been a really nice addition to my life. It's fun to hop online and jot down a few thoughts whenever I feel like it. It's like writing a letter to my family and friends (and the world) all at once. Hi world!

Thank you for visiting my blog and reading this far. Please leave a comment or send me an email. I'd love to hear how you're doing.

Now, after that long introduction, I can finally get to the update. Here's what's happened since my last post. Work wasn't too busy for me yesterday. I moved the pages I had to move, talked to my parents on the phone (they're fine, taking a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 next week), and left work a few minutes after 6:00 p.m.

I met my friend Marty Flanagan on the northwest corner of 57th and Sixth at about 6:15 p.m., just like last Friday. We took the subway to Brooklyn and walked to the Brooklyn Brewery. This time it was only me and Marty. Our other brewery friends couldn't make it.

We had a couple of beers (Abbey Ale), played with the brewery cat, and had a nice conversation. I gave Marty some promotional CDs that I had gotten from the giveaway pile at work (he's a big music fan and he helps me weed out the killer from the filler). Marty gave me a black t-shirt with an American flag on it that says Dissent is Patriotic. I walked Marty to the subway and then I walked home to my wife. It was a cold walk but I was bundled up in many layers.

It was 9:08 p.m. when I walked in the door and kissed Jenn. We relaxed a bit and listened to music and read the weekend sections of the newspaper that I brought home from work. On Fridays I sort and archive the newspapers for the Esquire research library and I take my pick of sections from the extra copies we don't need. I always take the weekend sections and Escapes from The New York Times, the Weekend Journal from The Wall Street Journal, and all of The New York Observer. We had a pleasant evening reading and relaxing.

Today is Saturday, and it is a sunny day in New York. It's not quite as cold as it has been. The temperature is supposed to climb above freezing today, just barely. Today, as I do most Saturdays, I'll be going to kumite class at the dojo. I've got about 20 fights ahead of me today, and I always feel a little jittery before I get to class. However, when I walk out of the dojo after a tough fighting class I feel like nothing in the world can hurt me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Martin said...

Fortuitous for me that you're first on google! I'm an art teacher in Tucson Arizona, and by some fluke, the librarian was throwing out old magazines. A student left a stack of them on my desk and my eyes kept falling on the Feb 5, 2001 issue of Newsweek, particularly on your face on the cover. Not to weird you out or anything, but as an artist, I notice interesting faces. We just finished a unit on portrait drawing and several times your eyes caught mine as I was working at my desk. When I looked closer, I saw your name at the bottom of the cover and thought I might see if you were a model or had a website. Your name popped up first in google and here I am. I'm not stalking you, just letting you know that your mug lends itself well to portrait drawing and wondering if you have any photos you wouldn't mind my students drawing. Best of luck at writing. I like your candid style.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home