New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Courtside at the Garden

This afternoon my friend Seth came up with two courtside seats at Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks play the Hornets. It's funny because exactly one week ago Noah came up with a pair of free tickets to the Knicks-Kings game, for my first-ever trip to the Garden. Having lived in the city a decade I had never been to MSG and now I've gotten free Knicks tickets on two consecutive Tuesdays. Uncanny!

Last week's seats were good, but being courtside tonight was amazing. To be precise it was Club Courtside, Game K18, Gate 66, Court 17, Row E, Seats 3 and 4. I sat in 3. The price on the ticket is $330. Amazing!

There were three rows in front of us and the scorers tables. Our view was excellent. The "tunnel" where the teams came out of was just to our right. I could have thrown a water bottle at one of them, but they were charging like five bucks for a big Poland Spring and I'm pretty cheap. Also they'd pound me. And I wasn't angry about anything.

It felt kind of rich to be in those seats. We had a waitress. I was happy to buy some burgers and beers. Both were pretty decent. I didn't like balancing the plate on my knees so I ate fast, and then I kicked back and enjoyed my Budweiser and started paying attention to the basketball game. The Hornets took the lead and held it. The Knicks' play was uninspired. Stephon Marbury was the highlight, he has some great moves to the basket and he can finish, but he wasn't enough to compensate for the lackluster effort of his teammates.

Sitting across the court from us, on the edge of the court itself, were L.L. Cool J, Samuel L. Jackson, and a few of their people and also Rowdy Roddy Piper. (As we were leaving Seth said he had seen Spike Lee but I hadn't noticed him.)

There were some exciting moments in the game, but overall the Knicks seemed flat, and while the Hornets weren't much more energetic, they did keep the lead for most of the game, then allowed the Knicks to tie it, and then they pulled away for good.

The other entertainment included the Knicks City Dancers (pretty good), a children's musical chairs contest (cute), and two contest winners taking half-court shots for $100,000 and $77,000, respectively, and missing.

After the game I walked over to the subway on 32nd Street. It was a few minutes after 10:00 p.m. It was raining pretty steadily. It didn't take long to get to Williamsburg on the subway. When I came in the house Jenn was talking on the phone to her mom about Stephanie's new baby. It's midnight now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home