New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Blizzard

It's been snowing pretty hard for several hours now and there's at least ten inches on the ground by my estimation. It's hard to walk but it's really pretty to see the snow falling over New York.

The temperature:

Celcius: -4 (feels like -12)
Fahrenheit: 24 (feels like 11)

I went to kumite class today at 4:00 p.m. and it was excellent. My fighting was much better than last time. Good energy, good technique, good control.

There was already a good deal of snow on the ground when I left the dojo. At home I ate an onion bagel with egg salad on it and then went out and shoveled the walkway through the garden. It had been a long time since I shoveled snow. It's a pretty good workout, especially since we only have a regular shovel, not a snow shovel.

There was a really good martial arts show on the Discovery Times channel called Martial Arts: The Real Story (Techniques arise from cultural and religious contexts in China and India) and I watched it from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Then I bundled up and took a snowy walk to the corner bodega to buy the Sunday New York Times but it hadn't been delivered yet. I wasn't too surprised, considering the snowy road conditions.

Our landlords Blanche and Louie just got back from a vacation in Florida. It was the first time they had ever flown on an airplane. Blanche said the flight was fine, smoother than being in a car, and that they had a wonderful time in Florida. It certainly was an extreme change in weather, to go from sunny Florida to the New York Blizzard of 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home